COVID-19 LEVEL 3 GUIDELINES FOR NEW PLYMOUTH PHYSIOTHERAPY PATIENTS
LEVEL 3: APRIL 2020 (this is a living document and will be updated as information
from the Ministry of Health (MOH) is released).
MEASURES WE WILL TAKE TO ENSURE STANDARDS ARE UPHELD
- You will be asked a series of questions over the phone to ensure it is appropriate for
you to be seen face-to-face in the clinic.
- We will use our clinical judgement to determine if you require any other services
such as A&E or urgent care/radiology, prior to coming into the clinic.
- You will be screened for COVID-19 signs or symptoms prior to being offered a
consultation in the clinic.
- When attending New Plymouth Physiotherapy at 144 Powderham Street: arrive in
the car park, wait to be called/texted or for your physiotherapist to indicate for you to
enter, enter via the front door only.
- Rooms will not be shared by physiotherapists. Each physiotherapist will have a
- All surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected before and after every consultation.
- Your physiotherapist may be wearing PPE and you are more than welcome to wear
PPE. As physiotherapists, we are guided by the MOH and it is not an expectation
that we wear PPE (see note below).
- There will be PPE available on the entrance to the clinic for patients to wear. Please
see attached document for the appropriate application and disposal of PPE.
- We will follow all hand and hygiene practices (see below).
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or by covering your mouth and nose with tissues.
- Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often (for at least 20 seconds).
- Avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
- Clean surfaces regularly such as touch screens, plinths, door handles, EFTPOS
Measures we will take to ensure standards are upheld
- There will be no waiting area. You will be taken straight into the treatment room.
- We will ensure all contact details are up to date and we will be keeping a register of
who has been in the clinic in case contact tracing is required at a later date.
- Your details will be registered with the Physiotherapy Board as it is a requirement that
we document all face-to-face consultations.
- You will be required to ‘hand sanitise’ on arrival and departure from the clinic.
- If there is any paperwork which needs to be filled out, this will be done by the
physiotherapist. You will be given a clean pen to sign any paperwork.
- We need to keep numbers to a minimum and allow only one patient to be present in
the clinic. However, a carer or guardian may be allowed to accompany you if we
deem it to be appropriate. They will also be screened for COVID-19 signs or
- During the initial part of the assessment, we need to maintain 2m distancing and
minimise close contact.
- During the consultation and assessment, treatment room doors will remain ajar.
- The toilet will be not available for patient use.
- Paper towels will be used on the bed instead of sheets and pillowcases. These will be
changed between every patient and all surfaces will be wiped down and disinfected.
- Contactless payment: you will be sent an invoice via email and directed to pay online.
If online payment is not an option other arrangements will be made.
Note: From the MOH: If you used PPE in your business before COVID-19, then keep using
it in the same way. If you didn’t use PPE in your business before COVID-19, you don’t
need it now
At New Plymouth Physiotherapy we are offering all new and existing clients Telehealth consultations (wahoo, what a cool way to have an assessment).
we will be using the zoom platform which is easy to use and can be downloaded here.
During this testing time, it is still very important to manage your pain, progress your exercises and have conversations.
We will also be providing some exciting exercise classes online but will let you know when they go live ...
If during this time you need any equipment for your home exercises, visit this link.
We are here to help.
The New Plymouth Physiotherapy Team